Friday, August 9, 2013

On Small Miracles

There are a few things that happen everyday that are small miracles. I'm not talking about babies being born or cancer going into remission. Those are pretty large miracles actually.

Not that the things I'm thinking about are super easy or low-priority. I'm mainly thinking about falling in love, buying houses, and getting jobs. In all three of these aspects, there are so many forces against you. I mean, to find a person who is stimulating, supportive, and you actually like being around is hard enough. But to have that person have all those feelings right back at you (at the same time, I might add)? When you think about it, it takes up a huge portion of our time as human beings. Sitcoms center around relationships--potential relationships, developing relationships, long relationships, crumbling ones. It really is a big deal when everything works out and ends in happiness and fulfillment. When you think, too, about handing your heart over to someone else, you're pretty much laying on your back, belly-up saying, "I'm vulnerable. Please be careful." That's terrifying! John and I are together for almost 10 years at this point, and while I feel incredibly secure, I still often feel vulnerable. What if I say the wrong thing? What if I screw this up? Why does he put up with me? Small miracles.

Also, getting a job. In modern times especially, there are so many people fighting for jobs. To have someone even look at your resume deserves a victory dance. Then you have to hope you shine brighter than everyone else, and then you have to hope to wow in person at the interview. All while hoping the job is something you actually want to do (because let's face it...finding a job that is attractive to you isn't easy, either!). I think in watching friends and family hunt for work, I realize I've taken my own career for granted. I'm very much aware of the small miracle that has me sitting at a desk at Princeton University. Big leagues, you guys! It's been 3 years, and I still wander around campus like a tourist, craning my next to take in all the buildings. To think that I was picked out over other applicants blows me away. I'm so grateful to be part of the Orange Bubble.

And houses. Ugh, this is my current headache. It really is a small miracle to have the stars align and to have a house sale go through! Much like falling in love, you approach house hunting with a mile-long wish list, looking for just the right Mr. Tall Dark'n'Handsome House. So once you find it out there, you hope you can afford it, you hope no one else is competing with you for it, you hope you come to a clean agreement with the sellers, you hope the inspection doesn't turn up nightmares, and then, finally, you hope to move in, collapse, cry a little, and sigh the relieved sigh of someone who has checked off a huge accomplishment on the Things Grown Ups Do list.

Small miracles. Where so many things can go wrong and you have little control over the circumstances, there are things that happen every day. People fall in love. People find employment. People buy houses. I'm lucky enough to have the first two taken care of, and am hoping the third will be next.

No comments: