Monday, March 17, 2014

Spring Break(ing the weather pattern, please?)

I find it crazy that I'm sitting here in my office on March 17 and there is snow on the ground. Is this the latest in the season it's ever snowed? No. But after the winter we've had I think we are all facepalming and ready for the snowdrops and crocuses to tell the frigid temps and frozen precip to take a hike!

I also find it crazy that it's my first day of spring break stay-cation and I have been awake since 6am. John had to work today, so I decided to wake up with him and make us a special St. Patrick's Day breakfast to eat together. We had such a nice weekend celebrating with my parents that I wanted to keep the party going, despite the fact that our dishwasher was full and I could barely see our countertops (really, I should have taken a picture...it was quite a sight!). I made us what I have dubbed a "Half Irish," in the spirit of the full Irish breakfast. The Full Irish consists of eggs, grilled tomatoes, bacon, black and white puddings, and beans. I skipped the puddings (we ate them while abroad because it was truly part of the experience, but I have no real desire to eat them here). I also skipped the beans because I simply forgot to look for them. I did, however, pick up some Irish bacon (rashers), and did indeed grill up tomatoes, grilled up some brown bread left over from last night, and grated a little leftover Dubliner cheese into our eggs. We also ate some fruit that was left over from yesterday, and washed it all down with some piping hot Irish breakfast tea.

I sent John off to work, started the dishwasher, and attacked all the things that needed to be tended by hand (lots of huge, heavy pots and pans and fine china). After about half an hour, I had everything cleaned and dried, and plopped into the couch to relax with the last few sips of tea. Even when I'm not multi-tasking it takes me forever to drink hot beverages. And now here I am. Let me share some photos of our day-early celebration with you. I didn't snap any pics of breakfast, unfortunately, because I was racing the clock a bit to make sure John had enough time to clear the snow off his car and head off to work safely. But I'm sure you can imagine what breakfast looked like.

Centerpiece to encourage spring to arrive! I styled the grass fronds to resemble rainbows.

Kitchen sink windowscape. So cheery!
Cheese board with home-baked soda bread. Yes, I know I forgot the raisins. Sighhhh.

Afternoon snacking upon my parents' arrival.
Dinner: Guinness stew, fruit and nut spinach salad, and colcannon and brown bread in the back there.
One of our Guinnsesses lending some festivity to the tablescape.
Apple-cinnamon skillet cake for rustic appeal.

OMG nommmmmmm!

We demolished cake, tea, and homemade Irish cream. Fitting end to a wonderful celebration.
Slainte. Erin go bragh. Slan abhaile.  Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone.









(Translation: Cheers. Ireland forever. Safe travels/safe home.)

No comments: