Saturday, March 21, 2009

Nothing Major

Just checking in. Life with my Versa is wonderful. : ) Still need to work out a few kinks (namely, figuring out my tire pressure light), and I'm waiting till the engine is broken in enough to get the awesome MPGs promised. But I can't complain.

I guess I should finally write about Profapalooza, which was like two weeks ago. It was a super-awesome night at the House of Blues in AC. The basic premise was this: three college bands populated by professors come together for some rocking and rolling. Stockton's Faculty Band opganized the event which was, in the end, in memory of Paul Lyons, who had the brilliant idea to put together such a jam. I'm feeling kind of lazy, so pardon the lack of links in this one.

There were three bands, Stockton College, Susquehanna University, and Colgate University, and the music was just about as different as each school. Colgate started the evening with Danger Boys, a three-man ensenble playing modern rock covers of popular music. I have to admit I was a little disturbed when they played Avril Lavigne's Boyfriend, so imagine my horror when they said they were gonna attempt a Beatles cover...what happened was a pretty amazing rendition of Eleanor Rigby which was true enough to the original, but sounded like what the circa-2000s Beatles would have composed. So I was able to breathe, and enjoy.

Next came the four-man band from Susquehanna, Faculty Lounge. I can't really classify their style...but maybe...if country music originated in New York? They looked like rockers, played like rockers, but had a rather distinct seasoning of country. But maybe it was just me. They played a lot of original songs, and the covers they did were obscure (to my ears, at least), so I couldn't tell the originals from the "real" songs unless they said, "This is one of our own." They absolutely blew me--and probably most of the crowd--away with their final song, though. They cued up the opening to I'm a Believer...then proceeded to sing the entire song in translated German. Frickin. Awesome.

After Faculty Lounge finished, John and I left the balcony section where we had been sitting and went down to the floor to dance and rock to the home team...good old Stockton Faculty Band! Now, SFB is really different for many reasons...one, we boast a lineup of about a dozen; two, we are hippies from a hippie school; three, how many other schools have such a diverse smattering of study backgrounds? I mean, from philosophy to marine science to math? We basically have someone from every discipline.

Once the instruments were tuned up and everyone was feeling good, frontman Frank Cerreto called the crowd to attention, and off they went! Definitely more my pace, they played the usual 60s and 70s tunes from My Girl to the closer Honky Tonk Women (for which Danger Boys and Faculty Lounge joined them...brought down the house!).

It was just a really awesome night, and the ticket sales benefitted the various scholarship funds offered to students. That it was dedicated to Professor Lyons gave the evening a really special feeling, too, and I think the SFB felt the electricity of it. Needless to say, the HoB staff had to boot us all out cuz we didn't want the party to end. We trudged back to our cars and headed home, ears still buzzing, hearts still pounding out the rhythms, and feet still tapping to the beat. Word.

In other news, tonight John, Mom, and I are going to the Winslow HS production of Grease. I'm at the point now where I graduated almost 5 full years ago (whoa), and everyone I knew in the drama department (aside from the teachers) have moved on, so there won't be many familiar faces on stage. I usually see a lot of my classmates and more recent graduates in the audience, though, and I always look forward to that. Another favorite treat is to go on closing night and to see the whole cast and crew sit on stage together and sing along to Piano Man. Good memories.

Well that's all for now. We have March of the Penguins on, and we need to get going to my rents' in a bit. So peace out till next time. Adios!

2 comments:

ash said...

I'm so sad I missed the concert! It sounds like it rocked!

Anonymous said...

HEY IF I WAS ABLE TO STAY AWAKE AND DID NOT HAVE TO GO TO WORK THE NEXT DAY i WOULD HAVE LOVED TO HAVE GONE TOO AS i REALLY ENJOYED THE CONCERT WE WENT TO AT STOCKTON WHEN THE FACULY BAND PLAYED THERE A FEW YRS AGO WHILE mAUREEN U WERE STILL A STUDENT!