Thursday, May 13, 2010

A Capella

As if Glee weren't a big enough reminder of how much I miss performing, today I witnessed a random act of A Capella. I am working late tonight, and was taking a dinner break, sitting on the stone patio behind my building, when all of a sudden, from somewhere not too far away, harmonies floated my way. I knew they had to be in one of the archways of the many dormitories that are near my building, but couldn't place where. Then I saw a small crowd gathering, and closed my book to walk over and see what was going on.


It was a small group, maybe 12 people strong, singing what sounded to me like Indian hymns and folk songs. It was beautiful. Here I was, an hour to kill with nothing to do, and right across the courtyard an impromptu concert erupts?

Now, for those who know me (musically), you know I am vry easily affected by music. Just the whole thing of it--the beauty of the architecture with the beauty of the voices, and the excitement of the singers for having attracted such a crowd on this sunny Thursday evening to the excitement of the passerby who happened to stumble upon such a wonderful event--the wholw thing had me choking back tears. In that moment, I missed singing and performing so much it literally hurt.
Singing in my car is not enough. I worry I will forget how to read music, how to find harmonies in songs. I've been inspired to look into vocal groups here and see if they are open for anyone to join, or if they are classes for students only. Watching this group made me think of the days we'd perform in the stairwells of my high school and faculty, on their way out after long stressful days, would gather to listen to a few numbers. Singing is such a huge part of who I am...it makes me enormously sad to have let it get away for so long.
To be continued...

1 comment:

mom said...

YAY!!!!!!!!!!! I am glad you had such a nice evening! I miss you performing as well. Please do look into the possibility of singing at Princeton or the surrounding area.Perhaps this can be an in for you to get back into theater as well. I am excited for you to be excited again. The academic world is so you!