Saturday, March 17, 2012

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Happy St. Paddy's day, everyone! Hope you're all feeling a little luckier and enjoying some great food, drink, and company! John and I had lunch at our favorite local Irish watering hole, Dubh Linn Square, and we have a beef stew in the crock for dinner. I made a soda bread earlier this week (but like a loser forgot to add the raisins, so it's a bit naked) as well as two Killian's beer breads. Yummm!

I first want to write and say how excited John and I are for the impending arrival of Baby Branin this August! We were tickled that Jon and Marisa came over to tell us in person Wednesday night. How strange to have entered the phase where many of our friends are married or getting married, and now we are starting to add children to our wolf pack (insert Alan's speech from The Hangover here...). We're thrilled to be Auntie Maureen and Uncle John. : )

Also in baby news, we get to meet little Odin, my cousin's now-two-month-old when we peace out to Vegas for a week this summer. I will never get enough of rubbing it in my Aunt Debbie's face that she's a grandma. haha Looking forward to picking out a fun little gift to bring him.

Currently, we are watching March Madness and John is on the floor soaking up Hammy snuggles. All the windows are open and Hammy's been going from windowsill to windowsill all day enjoying the sights, sounds, and, mostly, the smells. I'm pleased to report that Hammy is feeling better. Two weeks ago he went for his check-up and shots, and they discovered he had a very mild UTI as well as some crystals present in his urine. So a round of antibiotics and a re-check showed the infection was gone, but there were still some crystals. Thankfully, they are very microscopic and even with the UTI, it was caught so early he wasn't even showing any signs of not feeling well. We're glad that treatment for crystals is a simple change in food. Albeit slightly more expensive food, but he's been eating it up (I was worried he'd be like, "Uhm, what is this slop, woman?) with no trouble, and we'll see in 2 months if we've successfully eliminated the crystals.

John and I have some exciting travel plans in the making, but I won't report on that til it's carved in, ahem, stone and booked. We've told a few family and friends of the plans, but will be excited to share it here so everyone can see where we're going and what we'll be doing. So STAY TUNED!

This coming week is spring break at Princeton (John enjoyed his this past week--yay for having him home every night!), and I'm taking some much-overdue vacation time. Most of it is self-maintenance--a few doc appts., etc., and some of it is fun. I'll spend a day with Mom, and John's taking a day off, too, and he even booked us each a massage at the Wellness Center of Bordentown, the owner of which I got to know while I wasn't working. I got Mom a massage there last spring as a birthday gift, and she thoroughly enjoyed it. I've never had a massage, so I'm looking forward to checking it off the list of dreams to make come true in 2012.

Tomorrow the bestie and I are heading to Flemington for afternoon tea at Teaberry's, my latest obsession. Oooh, what kind of tea will I have?! Anxiety! Then it's a short 2-day workweek for me, and Saturday brings the premier of The Hunger Games! John and I are meeting my the other 2/3 of my three musketeers from work for breakfast and we'll then go settle in and watch the movie together. Pictures below from the tee-shirt making party we had to make custom garb to wear to the premier. Then Sunday is brunch at Laurita winery with John, and a return to normalcy.



But spring is coming (free Rita's water ice on the 20, folks!), and with it the promise of Commencement on campus and a quiet, slow, glorious summer. This year, Steve Carrell is speaking at Class Day, and I'm So. Excited. My office coordinates the event each year, and I'm stoked I may actually get a semi-run-in with the man himself. Gonna be awesome.

Also, on a different note, thank you to all who have kept me and my family in your thoughts and prayers lately as my grandmother's health declines. It means so much to have such a strong support system beneath me.

That's all for now. I hope to write again later this week with some updates, and hopefully pictures.

Lots of love.

No comments: