Monday, May 13, 2013

It's been a long, long, long time...

Perhaps little known fact: my favorite Beatles song isn't a McCartney ballad. It is, in fact, a quiet little Harrison number on the White Album: Long, Long, Long. I feel like it's so different from their other songs, but also kind of what got them started: a simple love tune. I love it. And it has, in fact, been a long long long time since I've written, so while Hubby watches Game 7 of the NHL Playoffs (Blueshirts all the way!), I'm here to finally cough up the updates I owe you.

Two weeks ago, I ran my second 5K race and PR'd with 32:27. I still finished in the last pack of runners, but damn it, I still wasn't last! This race was smaller, with only 107 runners (I placed 75th). The race meandered along a bike path in Mercer County Park, and it was a completely lovely day: cool, sunny, with the trees and flowers just beginning to bloom. Of course, that meant I could literally wipe off a layer of pollen from my face afterward (and I really did). But I couldn't have asked for better weather.



This was Hubby's first race, a test run, if you will, before his obstacle 5K next month. Oh, and by obstacle, I mean zombies chasing him. In addition to slogging through blood-filled ditches and climbing up a rope ladder and other "fun" things. I will be watching from the sidelines, thank you...the only thing I want to wash off after a race is sweat. No interest in mud, goo, or zombie remnants. haha But he and another friend will be running for their lives, and I'll certainly be there to support them. We have funny post-race photos planned based on the outcome (survivor/victim).

I've checked off some shopping wins recently. I had two specific shopping needs: spring evening wedding and 2 Gatsby-themed parties. I actually nabbed the Gatsby dress a month or so ago on a trip with my Mom. We popped into m y favorite consignment shop, Rebecca's Vintage Consignment right in town here. There was a dress I had been eyeing for a while--the perfect 20s party dress. But alas, it was about $70, and I just wasn't that into it. But when Mom and I went in and it was still there, and 50% off...well, damn it, that merited a try-on. What the what? It was waiting for me, in my size, 50% off and fit perfectly? That sucker came home right away. It's currently in the capable hands of a talented friend who is repairing some of the beadwork for me so I can flap the nights away.

I also just crafted a 20s-inspired headband to wear, and found great shoes at Rebecca's on a later shopping trip (scored for $8, thankyouverymuch). On this later shopping trip (just this past Saturday, in fact), Tara and I were patrolling the wares of Bordentown, and since I wanted to look for a Gatsby hat (the only thing I struck out on!), visited the consignment shop. No dice on the hat, but I found shoes that would work, and then Tara pointed out a dress to solve my wedding-wear conundrum! Hubby and I will be attending a friend's wedding in two weeks at the lovely Moorestown Community House, and as the wedding is an evening spring affair, I wanted something fun, romantic, and colorful. I had been watching a few dresses at David's Bridal for a few weeks, waiting for a good sale. I was set to check them out, but then Tara pointed it out: everything I was looking for! I checked the tag: it was my size! I checked the price: $30! I flung myself into the dressing room and crossed my fingers. Blammo. Perfection! I waltzed out and sought Tara's opinion. All it needed was a pair of shoes I already owned to keep the hem off the floor, and I was sold. Signed, sealed, delivered. Further win? The shoes had no price tag, so Rebecca said, "Meh, $8." And with my resident discount, both dress and shoes came to about $33. Hot dang! Every time I look at the dress I'm convinced it was kismet--I can also wear it to lots of other events in the future, so definitely worth every penny.




No spoiler pics of either dress for now, but you won't have to wait long. I will share pics, however, of my recent baking success. See the next post for that, though--don't wanna cram too much in here! Also to come: spring 2013 gardening.

Cheers until then.

No comments: