Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Still Alive

Sorry I've been lax in the update department. But here I am, with no real deep thoughts to express. Just a need to write and babble. Per usual.

Work has been good. I've been involved with a special project for one of our clients, which has been nice cuz I get to act in a kind of supervisory role. I do miss my "regular" job, but it'll be sad to go back and be a low man on the totem pole. Not that what I'm doing now is vastly different, but it's nice to be the one people come to with questions; I like to have the answers, and to teach what I know.

Related only because this happened at work last week, I present the following Corporate Environment/Public Health Fail...

The day? Thursday. The time? 8:10 AM - 2:00 PM. I arrive at my office, earlier than usual because I was driving John to work until he got his car back from the collision shop. I put my things down and am greeted by my friend, who was disgruntled because the bathroom had no water. Yes, the toilets were EMPTY, and the sinks couldn't even drool. More disturbing still, someone went, uhm, number two, despite this fact. More employees trickle in. More employees realize we're gonna have to hold it for an indefinite time. Then, we get an email...a pipe froze and broke, and the entire building was without water. But rather than close so repairs could be made, the building honchos offered us this: we were welcome to use the bathrooms in any of the OTHER buildings in the complex. So the day consisted of carpools trekking out in the sub-zero weather to relieve themselves. Brilliant.

For your further amusement, Pet Parenting Fail:

The last two weeks were incredibly rushed. Since I had to drive John to and from work, we were up and out earlier in the morning, and home later in the evening. Needless to say, this disrupted Hammy's schedule as much as ours. Usually when I leave, he's laying down under the couch, and thus out of sight. So I didn't think anything of it when I didn't see him out and about Friday morning. We called out goodbye as we walked out, assuming he was hiding somewhere, waiting till he could go to sleep again. Fast forward to 6:30. I got home first, having dropped John at the Ford dealership to pick up his car. I didn't want to wait for him because I knew Hammy would be lonely and hungry. I got home, put the key in the lock, and listened for the familiar jingling of his collar bell as he ran down the stairs to greet me. Silence. Worried, I dropped all my stuff at the top of the stairs, and called out again. Then, somewhere far-away sounding, I heard, "Mrrroooowwww...?" Immediately knowing what happened, I ran over to the coat closet, and there was my kitten, curled up on the floor, looking up at me with an expression of, "THANK GOD!" He chirped, rubbed against my legs and stretched for like 15 minutes.

And one more. Not so much a fail, but it was pretty funny nonetheless:

While I'm working on the special project, I have been set up in a nice private office, with a huge wall of windows. Now, my company is on the ground floor, so "my" office is right at sidewalk level. I was sitting at "my" desk after lunch, just working away, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw a flicker of movement through the open blinds. I turned, and saw someone RIGHT OUTSIDE THE WINDOW. Being incredibly startled, of course, I gasped with such fervor that I scared the crap out of everyone out in the cubicle area. Only me...

I'd like to leave you with this, possibly my favorite thing in the whole world right now. And have your speakers on. G-E-M!!!!!!



More to come after Valentine's Day/John's and my 4-year anniversary. Also, I'll be buying a new car in a few weeks! Hooray! I've got my sights set on a Nissan Versa SL Sedan. : ) HAPPY!

4 comments:

Rachel B said...

Haha - I love the Hammy story. I went to Maine on vacation once with my ex-husband, and asked his mother to look after the cats while we were gone (for 5 days). She never saw Duncan, the big black cat, the whole time she was there, but figured it's because the house was bigger (3 stories) and that maybe he didn't like her. Turns out that on her first visit, she closed a dresser drawer that was open - and didn't realize he'd been sitting in it. He was locked inside the dresser for the remaining four days, and though he was hungry and a bit dehydrated, he was perfectly fine. He was THRILLED when Todd and I got home.

ash said...

Oh my god how good is that video?? I wish someone had taped me after I got the wisdom teeth out. That shit was freaky!

John said...

I left a gem of a voicemail to Maureen after I got a tooth pulled. I thought the dentist gave me the tooth and told her this in the VM. I got home after collapsing for 2 hrs straight, woke up to find said "tooth" only to discover it was gauze... Brilliant!

Knifeboy said...

You'll like the Versa. Rach and I love ours.