Sunday, August 28, 2011

After the Eye, and Hammy's Misadventure


We are now waiting for the backside of the rain bands to come through--still under lots of flood watches, and we're seeing pictures come in from all over the tri-state area with water-covered roadways and other scary things.

Following my last post, both John and I went to get some sleep since the tornado watches had been lifted, and we were pretty much zonked out until about 8:00 this morning. We got up, resumed our vigil of Weather Channel, ABC News, and NBC news while we ate breakfast (we were absolutely starving from the hours and hours of severe anxiety).

Here we are in our cozy little bunker:


We were fortunate, though. We woke to a little wind and light rain, but our TV was also still on, as was everything else. We hope the power will remain on as the threat of more wind and rain approaches. Outside, there are a few small downed branches, but no major damage from what we can tell. John went out a little while ago to check on our cars--no damage, just a few bamboo trees that had snapped and were laying across our rooves.

Our main excitement came this morning, after breakfast, and after I had showered. Before I did, we decided to open a few windows to let in the fresh rain-cooled air while there was a lull in the storm. Yesterday morning we had taken out the window AC unit in our room for fear of winds ripping it right out of the sill. Guess which window I chose to open in there this morning. We hadn't replaced the screen. I sauntered into the shower, eager to feel refreshed. When I had gotten out and dressed and came into the living room, John was heading for his turn in the shower. I looked out the living room windows, and saw a cat on Jon and Marisa's porch. My first thought was, "Hey! Look, a kitty!" That immediately turned into "Wait...THAT'S MY KITTY!!!!!!!!!!" I shouted to John, "Hammy got out...he's outside!" When I opened the window, I had no idea the screen was missing--it totally slipped my mind. I slipped on my galoshes and tore outside to try and coax him to me.

When I got out there and started calling for him, he was behind the bushes and was yowling a terrified kitten yowl. I called and called, and I was sobbing like a lunatic, but he was just too scared--he was muddy and getting rained on. He kept running between Jon and Marisa's door and the door to the adjacent building, following the little path behind the bushes. John came out around back hoping to chase him into my path so I could grab him, but of course no luck. Panicked to my core, and feeling certain that if we continued this charade he'd bolt someplace we couldn't find or follow him, I had an idea. He had huddled up behind a bush under Jon and Marisa's windows. I was on their porch, John crouched somewhat insanely in the bushes. I layed on the doorbell til Marisa came to the door. I blubbered what I assume was a sufficient explanation of the situation, and she held open the door. As I hoped, he recognized the alcove as a safe place that led to home and darted inside.

He, of course, ran upstairs rather than into their apartment, but he was an easy catch once he was inside. We all piled into Jon and Marisa's and I blubbered a thank you and a few incoherent words about my fear and how I was glad the plan worked. Hammy explored their place for a bit, even snuggling into their bed for a few minutes, and we eventually wrangled him into the carrier, which John had come home to retrieve.

Here are two pics of Hammy after we got him home. He didn't look terrible, but was surely wet and a bit muddy:



So we're all back home now, hours and some naps later. Hammy has been bathed (using what are essentially baby wipes for cats) and brushed. John found his collar, which had popped off, under our window by some dig marks where he had tried to burrow his way back into the basement. So for the moment, all is well at the Eagn-Riggi household. We checked in with our parents this morning, and they had fared well. John's parents, who had gone to upstate NY to camp out with friends, are kinda stuck for now because all the roads leading out are flooded or blocked from downed trees, so we're staying in touch with them.

No idea what it's really like out there or what tomorrow will bring as far as venturing out of the homefront, but I'll be back with updates as I'm able.

I hope everyone in Irene's path is safe and sound, and if you're sitting in the dark, I hope that is the worst trouble you have.

Until next time,
Maureen, John, and Hamlet the wanna-be wild animal

No comments: