Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Thinking Ahead: Spring Hopes, Eternal

I'm a winter baby. In fact, tomorrow I'll toast my 28th birthday. I have always loved snow and the quiet beauty it coats the world in. But this winter has been BRUTAL. I can't remember the last time we've had temps so far below freezing for so many stretches. I find myself getting frustrated with the seemingly endless layers of clothing, the constantly cold fingers and toes (I have pretty terrible circulation, so they're always cold), and just the sheer amount of time it takes to go from inside to out and back in again. It's especially frustrating at work where the options are hop on a tram or make the 10-minute trek up campus on foot. Usually not a problem, but with the winds whipping and the wind chills below zero...yeh, tram I am!

Not that I'm rushing winter. I still hope for a few snow days. But...but I also just feel tired of the rigmarole of combating the winter elements. It'd be so nice to chuck on some pants, a light sweater, and be done with it.

I look out the window and long to get my hands in the soil. I want to rip everything out of the yard and start over. I want hydrangeas under the front window. Hostas in the shaded corners. Sun-loving daisies and tulips nestled against the hydrangeas. Ground cover fillers like impatiens along the driveway.  And lots of other things I've yet to decide because while I mastered shade gardening at the apartment, I'll have to learn about sun gardening for the house! Which is exciting and daunting at the same time.

But for now, I will enjoy being cozy with my hubby and my kitten. I will enjoy hearty soups and hot chocolate. And baking without sweltering in a summer kitchen. I will enjoy the winter Olympics in a few weeks and dream myself into a cozy ski lodge with a giant fireplace. There are many charms left to winter, but it's the turning point where I'm beginning to feel ready for spring to come along. On this side of 2014, it just feels tortuously close.

While I'm thinking about January, I'm not a resolutions kinda gal, but I have a few:
Keep up savings so we can balance home ownership with vacations, etc.
Conquer my fear of active dry yeast (I already have a few recipes picked out to get me over the hump)
Run (and enjoy!) the All-Women 10-Miler in October (already started building mileage, but it's so hard to get out since it's so cold!)
Pick out a half-marathon for 2015...perhaps Trenton or Atlantic City to avoid horrendous travel
And others I'm probably just not conscious of yet.

No comments: