Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Very Tiny Tweak

In the bathroom. It's so minor I don't even have a photo to go with it. But it's already making a world of difference. Our tub is sunken into the floor, which means there's about a half-inch of the tub that's sticking up above the floor, and then you step dooooown to actually get in. I was convinced I'd concuss myself whle adjusting to this, but it's been almost 3 whole months now, and I'm happy to report no injuries from attempting to bathe myself (nor injuries from our first overnight guests when they used it).

In addition to creating new muscle memory, this presented a logistical problem when it came to keeping the water inside the shower. Because to hang the curtain rod so the pretty outer curtain was not pooling on the floor meant the inner curtain liner was dangerously short. We found this out the hard way when John got out of the shower our first week in and there was a small pool on the floor.

So in the meantime we just adjusted the curtain rod to a happy-ish medium height and dealt with it. This weekend, though, I finally got out and picked up a second curtain rod, a pack of very simply (and cheap!) curtain rings and added it to our shower situation.

The new rod is pretty and decorative, so that one is on the "outside" and holds the pretty curtain. The older rod that's a bit rusted, ugly, and plain holds the liner with the simple rings. I was able to hang them at about a 3 inch height difference so the outer one both allows the curtain to graze the floor and also hide the ugly rod. haha And now the liner is hung so that it's nice and long on the inside of the tub so the water stays put.

Done deal!

Other visions I have for the bathroom are:
1. Replacing the cabinet knobs for charming glass knobs
2. Add a crown-moulding style shelf above the towel rack
3. Replace the rectangular mirror with an oval one
4. Murphy Oil the bejesus out of our beautiful wooden door with etched glass
5. Replace the grubby, ugly doorknob with something more cottage-y (would love a glass knob, but that ish is expensive!)

I'll likely tackle the Murphy Oil and cabinet knobs first, and when I do I'll certainly have some photos. I'll try and remember to snap a few of the crazy shower situation while I'm at it.

For now, cheers.

No comments: