Friday, December 19, 2008

Hamlet, sans Claws

So my Hammy kitten came home from the hospital today after staying overnight for his declaw surgery. Ugh, I cried all morning yesterday when we dropped him off...putting him in his carrier is probably just as emotionally traumatic for me as it is for him. He cries and it's like a knife in my heart. But all the staff at Banfield is very nice, and they are all smitten with my cutie, so I know he was in good hands. All the same, I know declawing is horrible, and all day yesterday I regretted it. Then I came home today and say his little hands, all matted with surgical glue (instead of stitches, which I feel is better)...I just burst into tears and buried my face in his fuzzy little tummy. He gave me a quick kiss, then decided it was a little too much closeness, and rolled over.

He seems to be feeling okay, though. He's eating and drinking normally, if not a little more than normally. He's very sleepy and groggy and will have to take medicines for a while, but he still looks at me with those big eyes and even purred quite profusely when I was petting him earlier. If I can still turn on the purr machine, I think we'll be just fine.

I'm just really really really stressed about him licking and nibbling at his wounds. The vet (and all the literature they sent home) says that it is normal, as long as he doesn't do in incessantly and obsessively. But now I'm the one obsessing...how much constitutes "excessive"? Ugh! If anyone reads this and can give advice, please do! I feel a call to Tara will come as soon as my free minutes kick in...I'm trying not to be an overprotective mommy, but how can I not? Ugh. Right now he is curled up in his bed snoozing away. I hope I'll be able to get some sleep tonight. I feel like I need to watch him every second lest he should hurt himself...I don't want him to reopen anything.

In other news, we had quite the wintry weather today. Nothing accumulated, and it was worse in Princeton where I work, but around noon it was really icy and awful. I hope the weather the rest of the weekend will begood enough for travel...TDangerous is supposed to come over tomorrow, and Mom is supposed to come up Sunday for shopping and hanging out.

Well, more to come as the saga continues. Everyone think happy thoughts for Hamlet tonight. : )

2 comments:

ash said...

Awww I want to meet Hammy so bad

Anonymous said...

After our mini discussion last night, I feel that Hammy will be just fine :) Except now I'm certain he doesn't care much for his Auntie T :( But I wish him (and you) a speedy recovery.

TDangerous