Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Snow, and the Philosophy of Selecting a Seat on Public Transportation

Hello, and happy winter weather advisory! I had to clear about a half an inch of snow off my car before leaving work this evening. ::sigh:: So happy. Just call me Loralie Gilmore.

In other events, John and I went to Fishmas at the Adventure Aquarium this past weekend...so fun! The aquarium did a lot of renovations to old exhibits and added some new ones. It seems that we will never get bored of the AA. What was really nice was that we took the RiverLine right from Btown, and it dropped us off at the Aquarium parking lot. When spring comes, we'll take the RL to some Riversharks games, too! Score!

On the way to the aquarium, though, I started thinking about something I overheard on train to the Rangers game Thanksgiving weekend. A man and his son got on the (awesome double-decker!) train and asked, "So where do you want to sit? Do you wanna see where you're going, or where you've been?" He was obviously talking about the seats facing the front of the train or facing the back, but the implication is interestisng. One of those unconscious expressions of character. I gravitate toward the seats facing the back of the train - where I've been - because it is different. I don't drive my car facing out the back window (and I hope no one else does!). I guess to me, it's a gesture of ease and surrender, of putting faith in driver by not looking out the windows to see what's coming next. I'm just along for the ride. But when I heard that man ask his son what he wanted to "see," I thought, "Do I sit here because I get stuck in what was?" And maybe I do, partially. But I also think part of that philosophy is also enjoying examinging the past with respect to the present and using it to look ahead to the future. Do people who sit facing forward disregard the past and focus on what's ahead? That might be their main tendency, but the past is always there...even if it's just in the next train car. Anyway, I'm probably overanalyzing this, but I've been mulling it over since, and now toss it to you for pondering and feedback. Where do you like to sit, and what do you think it says about you?

In lighter news, our holiday decorating here is finished, and we are enjoying thr tree and other festive touches. While we wait for our PartyLite goodies to arrive, we have Yankee Candle Balsam and Cedar burning (though I also recommend the new Sparkling Pine). The bathroom and back of the apartment smell especially wonderful.

I've gotten almost all my shopping done, and will do the rest next weekend when Mom comes for a visit. We're totally gonna hit up Red Robin. I just recently experienced the magic, and after years of seeing their commercials without being certain they actually existed (there are NONE in that area), Mom and I will be chowing on some amazingly yummy burgers. Last time I had the Shroom and Swiss burger...oh, heaven on a bun!

Anywho, that's what's been up with me lately. I hope to check back in more regularly. In the meantime, I hope you're having a great holiday season, and you're thinking about all the goodies you'll find under the tree (or under the menorah...?). I know I am!

2 comments:

ash said...

Hmmm interesting...

I think I typically sit in the middle of the train and prefer to see both what's been passed by and what's coming next. But hey, that's also cause the trains in France go on forever, so unless you feel like walking a mile the middle is usually where you sit.

At home, though, I prefer to drive with my feet and extend my whole body through the backseat of the car so I can look out the window. And don't worry - I have many mirrors that allow me to still see the road ahead.

OK so I can't actually do that, but maybe with some help from yoga...

Anonymous said...

"Do people who sit facing forward disregard the past and focus on what's ahead?" No. I am an avid past-dweller. But sitting backwards on a train (or anything else, for that matter) makes me motion-sick. So looking at where I've been literally makes me barf (or at least gag). I wonder what THAT says about my life.

t.