Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The latest in the Saga of Pet Ownership

Now, maybe it's because after his declaw, Hammy was kept at the vet overnight so he was a little more coherent by the time we got him back. He still looked like my kitten, despite his mangled paws and his sleepy face. So I'm just saying that when he came home from a comprehensive physical exam and a dental cleaning and he looked like he was tossed out of a car and into a giant puddle...::sighs::

First of all, I knew he'd be a little out of it cuz they have to anesthetize (spelling, please?) him, but he looked like a bobble head--a funny description, I know, but it was unnerving--and what alarmed me most was the fact that his two front legs and one of his back legs were SHAVED. He looks like someone tried to make him into a poodle! I guess they needed to do that since they had him on IVs and even had to catheterize him...but oh my God he looks like such a mess. Not to mention he was terrified of anything that moves. So of course all I wanted to do was hug and squeeze and kiss him, but now I'm just happy that he's laying under the bed and resting. He wanders out every now and then to check up on us, and he's looked a little better each time. He even let me pet him and gave me some nuzzles.

He also hasn't mewed or spoken, so I'll feel better once he starts talking again. I just want my kitten back. : ( And obviously he's so traumatized at the moment that pictures are certainly a no-no, but maybe I'll snap a few in a day or so and let you judge what's been done to him.

Has anyone else had an experience like this? The only other time he's had a cleaning was when he was already under for his declaw surgery anyway. And so you know, all of this would have cost close to $1200, but because I have him on what is essentially an insurance policy through Banfield, it cost us $42. ::wipes brow:: That $21 month for the insurance feels worth it every time I look over the bills.

Okay, that's all for now. More to come later. Think healing thoughts for my kitty. I never thought it'd be ANYTHING like this just to get his darn teeth cleaned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So what you're saying is Hammy looked like Sangha after that dimwit threw him out the car window into the street. That's terrible. This is no time to be passive-aggressive, my dear - I think you should definitely ask why he looked like a drunken, frightened sailor when you got him back. I think it's a legitimate question and one I would definitely ask if my vet gave Sangha back to me like that. Well, maybe I wouldn't because Sangha always looks a little off...

Speaking of which, I had him to the vet the other day and he's lost five pounds. Did I tell you this already? Well, now he's a mere 20 pounds - the vet said he was the fattest she'd seen that day ::giggles:: but that all of the cats she'd seen that day were over 17 lbs, so I guess that's not too bad. She seemed to think he was healthy anyway, which is the most important to me. I love my little porker.

And I love your little drunken sailor, too - I'll think good kitty thoughts for him today.

t.