Friday, March 1, 2013

I'll be cookin, so hope it's good-lookin'!

This weekend, in between various other to-dos, I'll be logging some serious time in the kitchen with the following:

Scones (I'm hosting a how-to seminar tonight with some girlfriends who want to know my secrets)

Potato leek soup (St. Pat's test-drive)

Cinnamon rice pudding (for my father-in-law's birthday)

Brown bread ice cream (St. Pat's test-drive)

Last post I mentioned perhaps attempting this myself, and I'm totally going for it. The recipe I found is very simple and straight-forward. I also just found a second recipe that matches the first, so I now have 2 sources that deem this successful. I already have leftover brown bread from a loaf I recently made (I'll let it stale overnight), so I'm kinda halfway there.

Stay tuned for a post-weekend wrapup, hopefully with photos of my success. Though you know if I fail, I'll come put that on blast as well.

Speaking of failing...well, maybe I should say of falling. I totally fell in front of my building on Wednesday on my way to meet a friend for lunch. I went down so hard I was seeing stars. My right knee is swollen and bruising up nicely, and my right wrist has been in an Ace bandage for the last 2 days. My back and left hip twinge on and off, and I keep finding secondary bruises. I'm okay, but am looking forward to not hurting all over anymore. Oh, and this is totally not stopping me from my cook-a-thon. It'll take more than a slightly injured wrist to stay away!

In addition to continuing my food journey, another 2013 resolution will soon be fulfilled: participate in at least 2 5Ks. What I'm most excited about is the Color Run in August (although ::grump:: at the most humid, muggy, hot month of the year...). Then, since I was feeling crazy after registering for that, I decided to participate in my town's St. Patrick's Day 5K. Yeh. That's in 2 weeks. I haven't run all damn season, and wasn't all that faithful in the fall either. My plan was to get back in the saddle this week since it's still a bit light when I get home, but since my knee is a purple baseball right now... I hope to be able to get in some run time come Monday and build up so I can do the 3 miles on the 16 without keeling over. Oh, you may have noticed the date...so yeh, that weekend I'll be running a 5K, spending time with the BFF from RSC, cooking/baking my ass off, and hosting St. Paddy's. Yup.

I'm nuts. But really, would you have me any other way?

No comments: