Thursday, March 21, 2013

I now feel like a real runner!

Last Saturday was my first official 5K race. Sure, I've done countless walks and "fun runs" and have even logged a few miles in gym class on the days I showed up, but I have never considered myself a runner before this year.

I started running before the wedding as a way to get in shape, but also to relieve stress. Running after a stressful day's work, and around the town I love, feels amazing. Now that I finally have tunes to take with me and headphones intended to stay on during exercise, it's even better.

I just pop on the Black Keys, the Foo Fighters, my Irish mega-playlist, or whatever is my ass-kicking music of choice and lace up. I know I need to get back into yoga, though, so my muscles can get some TLC after working so hard and absorbing so much impact.

Part of my new year's resolution for 2013 was to run 2 5Ks, one of which I wanted to be a Color Run (I'll check that off the list on 8/30!). As for the other, I would just see what appealed to me. Well, after registering for the Color Run a few weeks ago, I decided, "Aw, hell, the Bordentown St. Paddy's 5K happens every year, and I've never nutted up and just done it," so I registered for that one, too. With just about 2 weeks to train. I was excited, but also petrified. I was still working on being happy with my pacing and time for running a continuous mile. So I set a realistic goal: I wanted to simply finish the race and not be last. As I began training, I firmed up that goal: I want to finish in 40-50 minutes, and I want to run more than I walk.

I also wanted to not look ridiculous. I felt that if I had "professional" gear, I'd take it more seriously and be more committed. So I bought new sneaks, some cool-weather running gear, and better headphones. Come race day, I felt good. I managed to beat my target time on a test-run of the race course earlier that week, and snuck in a one-mile run the day before the race to keep my muscles in gear. I stretched, I limbered, I psyched myself up, and I ran. I finished in 35 minutes, and sprinting to the finish line, seeing John there with the camera and a welcoming smile felt absolutely amazing. I certainly didn't place, medal, or set any records, but I did for me: I achieved a goal better than expected, and I set a personal best time for the mile, 1K, and 5K.

Part of my success has been holding myself accountable: I've networked with friends who are way better runners than I am for advice and support. I post my runs on Facebook via the Nike+ app on my phone. All of this is public domain, meaning if I don't deliver, people will know. This is why I've been so vocal about my goals: so people will help kick my ass to knock them out of the park.

Since then, I've bested my mile time again and my pace is continuing to improve. I'm running my second 5K in May, and hope to shave off some more time and be in even better condition by then. For now, I'm going to frame my first bib with a pic of my at the finish line and keep it on my desk at work. When I'm feeling discouraged, I can look at that and remember I can achieve the goals I set for myself, and I can always surprise myself with successes.

I've often felt the hardest part of a challenge is starting, and it's true. That's why the finish feels so good.


No comments: