Sunday, March 3, 2013

New Recipes: Bun go barr!*

Successes all around! Rice puds: check. Brown bread ice cream: check. Potato leek soup: check.

The pudding was probably the hardest of all three, believe it or not, but only because it took foreverrrr. It has to simmer on the stovetop for an hour, then cool to room temp, then finally stow away in the fridge. Other obstacles included not having a proper lid for the pot I was using and thus having a few bubble-overs, plus a few burns. But it was all worth it. What I got was a thick, creamy, sweet-smelling pudding. I don't like rice pudding, so I deferred to John's culinary opinion. I made the puds for my father-in-law's birthday celebration today (he's also a fan). The only thing I can think is that next time I'll deduct about 10 minutes from simmering time so the consistency will be a bit less dense. But otherwise, it was much appreciated and, of course, devoured. Behold:





The ice cream was surprisingly easy. Which is what scared me...the recipe looked simple. Too simple. But nope: it really was that easy! I had already baked a loaf of brown bread earlier in the week, so that was honestly about 90% of the work right there. The recipe I used was no stir/no machine needed, so once I whipped it all together, I just popped her in the freezer overnight and waiting the agonizing hours until I could test it out. And when I did...it. Was. Amazing. Seriously. Out of this world. I'm drooling thinking about it...totally having a nibble for dessert later.







By the time I was finished with all that baking yesterday, I was wiped out. So I made the soup tonight after returning home from the in-laws'. Again, very easy! And oh so yummy, creamy, and delightful. We had small cups of the soup with our salmon/rice/broccoli dinner. Om nom nom!





Until next time, my friends, live deliciously!



*bun go barr = bottom to top in Gaelic

No comments: