Monday, September 23, 2013

Home, Sweet Home

Well, we've made it Facebook-official, so may as well put it on blast here, too.

A large part of the reason I've been MIA here is that we are now just a few weeks away from moving into our first home. Yes, friends, no more shared walls, no more fighting 6 other adults for 1 washing machine, a real yard to garden in, and a terrifying new financial commitment.

It was a months-long process to even get to the point where we found a home we liked enough to offer on, and when we finally found it, and didn't get it, we didn't know what to do. Quit altogether, save for another year, and then go back at it? Dust ourselves off and keep on keeping on? We obviously chose the latter, and found an even better fit the second time around.

What I'd like to do, too, is to post entries I wrote way back in July when we first started looking. I was saving them until we had found a place for purely superstitious reasons. Also, I wanted to curb questions I simply wouldn't have answers for. So the rest of this week, I'll throw up a "laterpost" (like a #latergram) so you can see how we ended up where we are now.

Our soon-to-be-home is 90% move-in ready, despite being 100+ years old. There are, of course, plenty of maintenance issues, most of which are on the outside.

And so Hubby and I are just beginning to pack, and are mentally steeling ourselves for the next few weeks and how they'll certainly be a challenge, but will be totally worth it.

I will have a kitchen big enough to comfortably cook in and even have people in there with me!
We will have a driveway all our own, and won't have to worry about not being able to find a spot!
Kitten will have so much new kitty TV to watch!
Storage. Oh my gosh the storage possibilities...
And I already mentioned the laundry excitement.

For a while, things were so stressful we were ready to give up and run away. But I think now we're back to a place where we're excited. We can think about paint colors. About where to put furniture. About what new furniture we'll need. About Ikea trips! And about spending our first cozy Christmas snuggled up in our very own home.


As for this blog itself...I'm undecided what to do with the title. We're quite heartbroken to leave Bordentown behind, but at the same time we love it so much that we definitely plan to keep the beat on the goings-on. So I'll see what inspires me, and even if I change the name of this here little blog, there's always something going on in downtown Bordentown we'll be happy to report on.

More details to come, but if I go AWOL again, you'll know why.

With love,
XXX

No comments: