Wednesday, September 25, 2013

#laterpost 2. Idling

Written July 2, 2013

Well, not entirely unexpected, but we have hit a stalemate with our offer. The sellers won't come down, and we can't go up. Friday was lots of back and forth and I don't think my heart stopped pounding all day.

It's been an absolutely tumultuous week. Right now, all the excitement is gone for me, and all I see ahead is a gaping black hole of stress. John and I are regrouping and going over numbers (again and again and again).

One thing that is extremely frustrating to someone like me is all the unknowns. No matter how well we plan, how much I highball estimates (and hope for much lower realities!), in the end, we just won't know what numbers we're actually playing with until it's pretty much too late. Sigh. Bills: huge variable. Taxes: way too damn flexible. They could be fine now, but what if we buy the house and they quintuple? Instead of focusing on the things we can control: energy efficiency, switching cable packages, scaling back where we can, I obsess over the unknowns I assume will swallow us whole.

Perhaps as the sellers get closer to finding a new house of their own, they'll be like, "Hm, that nice couple did make a solid offer. Maybe we should call them back." I will be blatantly honest: when we didn't move forward right away, my first thoughts were of relief: oh, good. We can keep going as we have been, which is obviously comfortable and works for us.

It's the simple fact that uncharted territory, especially territory so tricky and financial, has me scared shitless.

And so this is where we stand now. Again, when I put these posts on blast, we'll have either bought this house or moved on to search for others. But for now, we're dwelling in Limbo. Sigh.

No comments: