Saturday, November 22, 2008

First Week of Work, Debriefing

So my first week was really good. It was overwhelming, stressful, new, and somewhat scary. But I work with some of the nicest people (sometimes I think it's not possible to use please and thank you any more, and then I hear them again). I guess I'm just not used to uberpoliteness.
In any event, the day I started was also someone else's first day, and it turned out she was my cube mate. I couldn't have asked for a better match! I think the newness of it all definitely helped us bond, but it's nice that I'll be sharing space with someone who is so similar to me. And the other people I'm getting to know are great, too. The office itself is pretty swankity swank. I'll just say this...my poor old car sticks out like a sore thumb in the parking lot. Hm...someday, maybe, I'll get something that was made in this millenium. I can dream...

The only thing that sucks is that I won't get my first paycheck till December 12...gee golly gosh am I glad I don't have Christmas shopping to do...oh, wait...I have to DO IT ALL! Harumph.
And if you're wondering what it is that I do, I'll try my best to explain. Navigant is a legal cosulting firm, and I am a data entry analyst working on their World Trade Center Disaster Site project. So I basically look at lawsuits and prepare them to be delivered to the appropriate legal counsel. It sounds kinda dry and simple, but it's really labor-intensive (you have make sure everything in EXACTLY PRECISE) and tedious, but it's also nice to know that what I'm doing will eventually help people. Not an idea career for a Litt Kid, I'll be the first to say it, but it's not a bad place to start out fresh out of college, either.
Wednesday John met me at the office (only 10 minutes from his!) and we went to the First Annual Holiday Shopping Bazaar that was held in my building's atrium. It was fun, and there was tons of yummy food. Since that was my dinner, I piled my plate to the sky! haha Also, December 5 is our company Chrstmas gala in New Brunswick. It'll be nice to get dolled up and go out with John. There will assuredly be pics from that!

What else? It's been a little crazy trying to get into a routine since John and I leave within half an hour of each other and our downstairs neighbors are on the same schedule (showers are rough, haha), but I think we've got it down. It just sucks that John and I can't eat breakfast together cuz when he's eating I'm showering, and he leaves as I'm getting my own brekky together. And then there's kitten. He's been waking us up at 5:30 wanting a meal and a playmate. Ugh. He has to get used to the new routine, too. I have to say that it's a great feeling to come home and hear him come running over to the stairs, where he pokes his head around the corner, and mews to me that he's happy I'm home. : )

As for this weekend? Right now I'm home alone with the cat while John takes care of some auto business back in Hazlet. It's nice to be here with Hamlet, and I think he's happy, too. Then I'll pick Mom up from work around 3:30 and go to the house for the afternoon and evening. We're gonna go to Winslow HS's production of Arsenic and Old Lace.

That's about all I've got for now. Sorry posts will be sporadic and probably short. After staring at a computer screen for 8 hours at work, I don't have much energy to come home and stare more. Plus this week was hard cuz we had to run out after dinner a few nights, so I had even less time to take care of personal business and all. Again, still adjusting.
We also bought Wall-e on Tuesday, watched it, and I cried once again cuz it is simple THE CUTEST MOVIE EVERRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go and buy it. It will change your life. : ) I loaned it to my new pal, Nathalie, for the weekend since she had never seen it. Tara, you're next!

Until then, I leave you with the following:


Hamlet carts off his prey, having won the battle.



He looks like he's sailing a little tug boat.

2 comments:

Krissy said...

If he's still waking you up at the crack of dawn, try giving him a snack right before you go to bed (like 1/4 what he usually gets) it will keep him full and sleepy for a little bit later and it's actually good to feed them less more times a day.

And hooray for the job and all the other grown-up stuff going on! I'm glad to hear things are going well.

ash said...

Boo for less than perfect shower schedules.