Friday, November 14, 2008

Last Day of Unemployment

Such a strange mix of feelings today, as this is mylast day at home full-time. I start my new job Monday morning. The company called to confirm and give me some last minute info for what I'll need for that first day.

I won't miss being poor broke, I won't miss living on the Internet and TV, I won't even miss the constant access to my fridge (which is usually pretty bare anyway). What I will miss is being able to enjoy the stupid little domestic things: now cleaning will feel like a chore, eating away at my delicious weekends rather than being something to pass the long, boring, lonely hours of my days. Plus, I'll of course miss my kitty to pieces. Just look at this face, and tell me how you could leave him:

But this will be a fun way to celebrate the end of my stay-at-home status and kick off my well-funded life as an employed American. (It felt so good to call the temp agency and tell them I found a full-time gig all on my own.) Tomorrow John and I will be up early to get ready to go the NYC for the day! John got us tickets for Young Frakenstein at the Hilton Theatre on West 42nd Street. (By the way, our seats are 11 rows back from teh stage!) We'll take a train out of Hamilton into Penn Station and will wander around until the show (at 2). Then we'll go to Ollie's Noodle Shop for what I'm sure promises to be a scrumdiddlyumptous Chinese dinner. All that then we'll come home to kitty and crash out. I am really jazzed about my outfit, too. haha I bought this fabu sweater dress a month or so ago, and it looks like despite the chance of rain, it'll be warm enough to wear it comfortably. I'm mostly concerned about my feet, though. It looks like we'll do a few miles of walking when all is said and done, and I've been wearing my boots with my new Dr. Scholls inserts to break them in, but city streets will be the true test. If all else fails, I'll call myself Monica and John Chandler, and make him carry me home. haha Any fans out there know the ep I'm talking about? Anyone...?

Sunday won't be as exciting, but Hamlet has a vet follow-up, so John and I will hang around Hamilton Marketplace while he's in the vet's care (it's a drop-off thing where they spend a few hours with him so he can meet the staff and get used to going there). I may also go to Deptford to meet Mom at our Longaberger rep's house for an open-house sale and gathering. It'll depend on what goes on with kitty, and how I'm feeling after a very active day. Ashley, I think I will sympathize with you after tomorrow, though there aren't really any Hell Hills for me to scale. I'll jog up and down a large flight of stairs for you, though. ::wink::

So that's really all for now. I can't wait to blog about New York. I haven't been in the Broadway area since my senior year of high school, and the last time I was in the city was last winter when John and I went to Central Park (most of which I still have to explore!). And I was planning out what to do tomorrow, and it's just so completely overwhelming...to stay within a 10-block radius will take up all day. Of course the time we'll be in the theater takes up most of the afternoon, but still. I hope to spend time in the Hershey and M&M stores, as well as see Bryant Park (Project Runway ahoy!). Times Square is implied since the Hilton is right off the corner. I'd also love to get up to Rockefeller Center once the Christmas tree is lit (December 3). And by the way...the tree this year...is from Hamilton, NJ! That's the town next to us! Word!

Okay, that's all for real now. More to come...

And hope for good weather...it's looking kinda bleak...

No comments: