Saturday, November 29, 2008

Christmas Comes to Bordentown

This evening John and I went to our town's tree lighting, and it just reinforced how much I love living here. For years, Mom and I had been going to local towns like Collingswood and Haddonfield for their holiday festivities. It felt so nice to drive about a mile away and walk down the streets that are becoming very familiar, and be a part of a small-town tradition. I have my own Stars Hollow...minus the lunatic Town Selectman.

The Farnsworth House restaraunt.



We got there just in time to see the end of the Drum and Fife Corps. performance, and hear the carolers sing a few tunes. Then we counted down to the tree lighting:




After that, we walked around and poked into the shops that were open. We found a really great little tea shop called Beanwood Coffee, who apparently had their grand opening for tonight. It was fantastic! I had mint tea and a cannoli and John had coffee and a slice of yule log cake. As we were warming up, the carolers came in and sang for the shop! It was so great. Just a completely perfect way to start the holiday season.


When we finished our tea, and the caroling quartet was treated to free tea and snacks by the shopkeepers, we headed home, feeling a bit cheerier than when we left. : ) Earlier today we went to the mall and I bought a dress for my office gala on Friday night. Then, at Target, we got some tree trimming supplies. We'll decorate our little Christmas tree Thursday after dinner. It'll be a week into December, and will feel a little more welcome. haha I was so excited today that I wanted to decorate it as soon as we got in the door. But John talked me into waiting. I've never been one to celebrate Black Friday by tearing down the harbingers of fall for the heralds of Christmas, but I'm just so excited that this year John and I get to do things our way that I got a little ahead of myself. For now, though, the tree awaits.



Bordentown Town Hall

3 comments:

Caroline said...

we headed out for this event as well! Walking down Farnsworth to find the new coffee shop open was quite exciting, considering we've been joking about it for years now! Unfortunately, we weren't as pleased with the coffee place..no syrups? no flavored lattes? and maybe not ever!? what?! The lids didn't fit, but that seemed to just be an overlook..hopefully they'll work out the kinks soon...I'm hoping to have a good coffee shop to walk to!

Anonymous said...

I've been trying to convince hubby that we only need a little tree this year, but he won't budge. And we saw the cutest little mini fir trees for like $10 somewhere the other day...I guess I'll have to keep up with the allergic sneezing fits this season :(

t.

ash said...

How wonderful! I'm more than a little envious of you! France has the cutest little Xmas markets and coffee shops and all, but I can't seem to get into the spirit. Mostly because I don't even know what to do with the holiday yet. Maybe I'll go caroling!