Thursday, November 6, 2008

KatManDu, and Barack Obama, too!

So tonight will be my first experience with the (early) nightlife in my new metro area. I'm gonna meet John and his work buddies at KatManDu in Trenton for Happy Hour. It'll be nice to get out for a bit (aside from running errands).

Also, it's my first post since we have a new President Elect: WORD UP TO BARACK! If you know me, you know I'm pretty much politically challenged, but I do have my ideas of what is right and wrong, and my ideas about what needs to change in this country. I rarely advertise my political affiliations, mainly because it leads to dead-end arguments in which I am the stupid one, and to be honest, until about two weeks ago I was really torn about how I was gonna vote. I was all about Hillary when she was in the running, so it took me a while to really warm up to Barack. I think, though, Barack and Hillary share a main attraction for me: their passion, charisma, and genuine qualities. Plus, their youth. Not that Bush is pushing up posies (McCain sure is, though), but I think he has the typical Old White Guy politics, and those politics no longer serve this country as well as they might have in the past. So when Hillary dropped out, I was upset...did I want to write her in on the ballot, or did I want to support the democrats by way of Senator Obama? What I ultimately decided, though, was that this election was too important, and every single vote was more important than ever. Not that writing in Hillary would have been a waste, but I knew the democratic nominee would need every vote to keep the gap between himself and McCain as wide as possible. So Barack it was! And after voting against Bush in the last Presidential election, it was really exciting to watch the votes come in, and to watch Barack win, and know that I was a part of it. I was a part of this change for (what I feel is) a more positive and hopeful future for America.

Now, I'm still not political-minded or a Super Patroit, but I feel heartened now that there will be a change in the guard. I think the democrats will have big changes in store, and we may not like them all, but I that the end goal will justify the short-term disagreements. : )

That's all for now. Until next time, friends...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So how's it feel to party like a rock star with Barack?

t.

Maureen said...

He totally had a lampshade on his head by the end of the night. Which caused quite a problem cuz he then had to fly out of New Jersey to make his speech, and the rim of the shade was a hassel at security.