Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Climb the coporate ladder...Don Rocco..

Today I had somewhat of an epiphany, or more of a forming storm cloud about future at work. (I can't name specifics, but only so far. Government work makes cloak-and-dagger statements and acts second nature) I don't picture myself as career man or life-r where I work (I may be, but who knows) but I don't see myself leaving anytime soon. My employer has access to funds for training and advancement of ones self by means of advanced degrees (a Masters degree would be nice, but Dr. Riggi would rock!), training, and certifications. I feel the route of the Masters track would be for me; but what to study? And I doubt that I would take time off from my job (I might be able to take furlough time or something like that to go to school, but I am not sure I can), so I would be working and going to classes at night. So, I wouldn't be able to fully devote myself to graduate work and efforts, but this is all what I must investigate. And it will help me in my job, somewhat. It may raise my payscale a bit (but not dramatically), but so will time with the increments I get in my contract. I need to discuss this more with the HR dept and their knowledgeable people, but I feel I will be pegged to do some sort of management or leadership Masters (something I may abhor) but it would make me more profitable to have at work.

Somedays I wish I could back and fix myself and where I fell (or smack myself on my head and knock some sense into myself) and get back on my science track. And somedays I feel like I was never cut out for the sciences. That I am deluding myself and that is all just a overinflated hobby I have and that I should stick to real things that I can do.

Enough lamenting over where I could have gone and where I am. What I do know now is this, I am in a place in my life where I can settle and figure these things out and figure out my path. That is something I have been wanting for a long time.

......
End transmission
.....

1 comment:

Maureen said...

I know you might not believe me cuz you say this to me all the time, but I believe it so I'll say it all the same: you have a lot to offer via the sciences. You're smart, and you know your stuff. And I know DoT isn't where you want to spend your life. But as long as you stay connected to your fishes and to your sciences, you'll be happier.

Look into volunteer positions at the aquarium. It's just a RiverLine ride away. ::hugs you:: You can be a diver on the weekends!

I love you.