Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Success of Commerce


Yes, I made it successfully to the bank, on the first try, without directions. I had to navigate the traffic circle of death, but that was the most eventful part of the journey.


After the bank, I went to go and explore Hamilton Veteran's Park (which is what I got lost looking for last time I tried to find Commerce). I made the CORRECT turn, and after a little wayward driving found the entrance I was looking for: by the giant, painted, helicopter.


What amazes me about where we now live is how...hm...quirky it is. There are so many strange things around here. I think this is my favorite, though. On the way to the pumpkin "festival" two weeks ago, I kept seeing signs for a "WWII Parachute Memorial." They told me to "Keep right" or "Keep left," and also said things like, "100 feet ahead." But for the life of me I saw nothing resembling a parachute or anything to memorialize parachutes. Then, I saw it. And this is only th estupidity of New Jersey. Now, when you think of a memorial, perhaps you imagine a plaque with a bench for silent contemplation. Perhaps you imagine a statue. Or perhaps you imagine what I actually saw: on the side of Rt. 206, nowhere near a place to pull over (safely), nowhere near anywhere appropriate to stop and pay your respect, other than a few confused thoughts as you whiz by in your car...who the hell thought that one up? And while I'm ranting a bit, I have to say: Dear Blonde Who Does the Most Recent NutriSystem Commercial: I understand you are married to a football player, so kudos for bragging about how you "love sports." But here's a little secret: more women than you might believe can catch a football. So when you manage to catch it and then ask, "How many girls can do that?" The answer is a lot. Now if you threw a perfect spiral, then I'd be impressed. But you chuck an ovular piece of leather at me, I'm gonna catch it, sister. So chill out, skinny.

Anyway. Hamilton Park was beautiful, too! Here is a pic of the map of the park just to wrap your head arounf it. There aren't parks this large by my house. Then again, Camden County is pretty crowded and developed, and Burlington County has lots of land.


I only explored a tiny bit, though I walked a total of about a mile and a half. There is a HUGE lake, lots of paved and natural paths, and apparently a floral garden as well as a playground for kids. My only regret about the park is that is was FREEZING! Like 50 degrees and win-dy! So here are pics from my exploration:








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also hate that blond broad that catches the football - I always say the same thing to her "How many people can do that?" It usually starts with, "Ummmm, a lot you dumb bitch." I know, harsh, but I can't stand her...