Thursday, October 2, 2008

Contemplating the Meaning of Home

I was so anxious last night that I didn't fall asleep until after midnight. It's all just all catching up with me and feels super real now that I've been there and seen it all and half of my belongings are there. My bedroom at home looks weird, and it'll look even stranger after I take it apart further tonight. Remember at the end of the (elementary) school year when all your paintings would come off the walls, and the spelling charts would be thrown away, and all that was left in your desk was pencil shavings? That's what this feels like. My room will still be used, but not by me (except when I come to visit). It's a weird sense of displacement. At the moment, neither feels like home. My house will always be home, but now I'm in the process of making another home that will be mine and John's. It'll be new compromises and new experiences. But it has been exciting to make our own decorating decisions rather that being surrounded by our parents' interior decoration.

Okay, so in lighter news, I know you've all been anxious over the leaky sink...well you can rest easy knowing that by the time John got to the apartment yesterday, there was already a note from maitenance that the faucet was repaired and in perfect health. I was, understandably, incredulous over the speed with which it was fixed, so I made John turn it on and off a few times, and use the fliter then switch back to the sink. haha All seems to be well. As appealing as a pool in our kitchen sounded...

Also, I added John as an author on this site, so once he gets set up you'll be able to keep track of who's writing what. I figure that'd be easier than having to say, "This is Maureen writing" or "This one's from John" and having it signed under both our names.

Stay tuned for more news, and perhaps a hello from John.

PS: I apologize for all the singing in my videos. I know you didn't sign on for a musical. I will try to keep that to a minimun with the videos of a full tour that will come next week sometime. In fact, I'd like to actually feature humans--myself and John--in those videos. It'll be just like HGTV. : )

No comments: