Thursday, October 9, 2008

Out and About to Chase the Blues Away

It's true that the simplest things can bring us back to ourselves. I have really down since I finished my job at Stockton because it feels impossible to find work at all, let alone something fulfilling and meaningful. Yes, I have dropped applications at retail stores in addition to the endless search for something literary/utilizing my skills and talents. But anyway. I was particularly dpressed today, so I decided to get out and enjoy the fresh air. I've pretty much been camped indoors since we moved in.


So I did a quick Google search of parks in the area, and came across Historic Smithville Park in Eastampton. I packed a lunch, hopped in my car and off I drove. As soon as I got behind the wheel, I felt better. There's just something about driving that relaxes me almost immediately. And since it was about 1:00, the roads weren't congested. As I headed south on Rt. 206, it started to open up to farm land and suburban hills. Beautiful.








After it was pointed out that I sit on the couch in front of my comuter all day (doing jobs apps, emails, and other nonsense), I realized I had become someone I don't like. I really hate a lot about myself these days, and though I try and keep my head and morale up, it's difficult. I need to make changes and I need to start by fixing me. And it sounds stupid, but going back to nature just felt right. Sitting here all day is alone time, but I wind up in a negative haze, and it just seeps into the walls (impressive considering the paint is about five inches thick in here!), and I breathe it in and stay in that funk. Yes, a park to expore was precisely what I needed to clear my head.


The first thing I saw when I pulled into the parking lot was this gorgeous old building. There's a mansion on the park grounds, and I assume this was probably a maid/butler house or something back in its day. I parked and set off to explore the trails. I was especially intrigued by the floating trail that was built over the lake. : )
















Meandering along unknown paths and walking over cool bridges made me feel like I was a metaphor...going all these new places, alone, and figuring it out. Why was it so easy to find my way out there, and I can't do that in my real life. Of course, I had a map with me along the trail. I figured on the off chance I'd trip and fall and injure something critical, it was best to have my cell and a map so I could tell the authorities where to find my crumpled body. haha But really, it felt so good. I was breathing in fresh air, I was sweating, and I was feeling like myself again. I was able to see that I am in a rough place, but I was also able to see that I will get through it somehow. Something I've felt for a long time, but something that, in the confines of either my house or the apartment, I just couldn't feel (or believe).


I need to find myself again, and where I fit into this new world. I've been feeling so empty without school or a plan. I've always known what came next, and now I'm overwhelmed with not knowing anything. But for the moment, I feel good. The lungs and muscles got a work out and the mind blew out the cobwebs, too. Of course, my love for photography was renewed, and once again I was reminded that nothing I am good at is marketable. haha Oh, well.
That's all for now. Till next time, folks...

5 comments:

ash said...

Hooray for self-revelations!

Krissy said...

I'm so glad that you worked through these things, because, not to burst your bubble or anything but ... getting a job won't make you suddenly feel "found". In fact, you may even lose yourself even more. So even though you're frustrated by not finding something try to do more things like you did today so that when you don't find a job you get lost in the big new world that exists outside of Stockton.

Krissy said...

wait... i mean when you DO find a job, because I know you will. sorry... stupid fingers.

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh, good ole' Smithville. Alex and I went on our second date there - we went to see the Victorian Christmas extravaganza they do. It's really cool - different people and organizations get to decorate different rooms in the mansion. It's awesome. You and John need to go this Christmas - so beautiful. Maybe we can all go together... Cheer up, silly bean head, everything will work itself out. The universe has a way of fixing these kinds of funks, and you're on the right path. I always found that long drives to natural settings make me feel quite good, too - even before the meds :)

Rachel B said...

Smithville is my favorite local park. They've done a huge amount of redevelopment to make it hte lovely place you saw last week.

You do realize, don't you, that we live about 10 minutes from Smithville?